Chilled Diced Vegetables in Saffron Bouillon
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion (from about 1 medium onion)
1 cup thinly sliced leek (white part only; from about 1 medium-large leek)
1 tablespoon minced garlic (from 3-4 medium cloves)
1 cup finely chopped carrot (from 3-4 medium carrots)
1 sprig thyme
1 bay leaf
2 pinches saffron
1 8-ounce bottle clam juice
2 small plum tomatoes
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice Cooked and chilled seafood of your choice (mussels, shrimp, lobster, salmon, etc)
2 tablespoons chopped chives, mint, or scallions
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat, then add the onions, leeks, and garlic.
- Sweat, stirring frequently, until softened and just translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, thyme, bay leaf, and saffron, stir, and add clam juice.
- Add 2 cups of water, stir, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool, cover, and refrigerate overnight to allow saffron to fully infuse the broth and release its color and flavor.
- The following day, prepare the tomatoes: bring a medium pot of water to a rolling boil.
- Prepare a large bowl of ice water and set near stove.
- Using the point of a sharp paring knife, remove and discard stem end and cut an ‘X’ into other end of each tomato.
- Submerge tomatoes into the boiling water for 10-15 seconds or until skin of tomatoes begins to peel off near the ‘X’.
- Using a slotted spoon, quickly transfer tomatoes into bowl of ice water.
- Peel skins off tomatoes and discard, then cut tomatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out and discard seeds.
- Cut tomato halves lengthwise into 1⁄4” strips, then cut strips crosswise to form 1⁄4” square pieces.
- Add the chopped peeled tomatoes, orange juice, and seafood to the chilled soup base.
- Season to taste with salt. Divide evenly among serving dishes and garnish with chives, mint, or scallions.
Variation: To serve soup hot, bring chilled soup base to a boil, add tomatoes, seafood, and herbs (omit orange juice), boil 1 minute, season to taste with salt, and divide evenly among warm serving bowls.